Monday, August 3, 2009

Dabbling in Thoughts of Photography

I've been tossing the idea around for quite some time now about getting into photography. Its something that can certainly create a decent income (even starting out) and, more than anything, its really something I enjoy doing. At the moment, all I have is our 5 megapixel point and shoot digital camera. I'd need to invest in some PhotoShop equipment but I think that should be quite doable. I will post pictures of things I've taken both past and present and I would love to hear thoughts about what anyone thinks of it.


The first is a picture of a beautiful waterfall, Shoshone Falls, in Twin Falls, ID. Katie, Caleb and I went to see it while we were visiting her family last summer. Its part of the Snake River and a beautiful part of the country to see some great photography opportunities.


The picture on the right is of Katie and Caleb. It was taken early last summer at my little brother's wedding in Los Angeles, CA. There was a small drizzle coming down and Caleb wasn't liking the idea of getting wet. With that in mind I took off my coat and draped it over Caleb to prevent a lot of the rain from landing on him. I should have thought of a little hat too. As soon as I saw the coat on him I couldn't resist the photo opportunity because it was just so adorable. Caleb, as he always is, turned out to be quite the handsome fellow and happy to have the extra layer of warmth.


This is one of the bigger jumping rocks at Sand Harbor beach. The day was obviously a bit overcast which made for a more beautiful color on the lake. The young man about to jump could be doing many things... checking before jumping, looking at distant horizons, enjoying the beauty of Lake Tahoe or a miriad different things.

My little monster, on the right, with a cute little party hat on his head. He was having a good laugh with it on but the opening was so big that it kept slipping down over his little head. He kept reaching out trying to get some help before he realized he could just reach up and brush the whole thing off. He certainly made for great entertainment for quite a while though.

These are just a few of my wonderful pictures. I would love to find more but I'm running short on time tonight and can't find some of the folders that contain my other pictures of both people, things and places. If you have access to my profile on Facebook you can scroll down and access my photo album of Tahoe shots as well.
I hope you've enjoyed these pictures and a small part of my life as much as I have. I would love to hear any constructive criticism about these pictures and the possibilities of doing this as more than just a hobby. Also, I would love to hear your comments about the name of my future business... Crescent Creek Photography. I'd also like to find an artist who would be willing to help me create an amazing logo too. Anyways, enough babbling and off I go to enjoy some family time...

5 comments:

Karli said...

Good luck! It feels so great to be able to be doing something you love and are passionate about! The photos were all good and I especially loved the one of the young man getting ready to cliff jump.

Ben said...

What? I don't get credit as your cliff jumping model? I thought Lee took that picture ...

Anyway, the economy is tough for everybody, including photographers. My old roommate's wife is a professional with a beautiful portfolio, six years experience, a fine arts degree and probably $30K+ worth of equipment, and she waits tables on the side. The work's irregular, and the benefits are horrible.

That's my curmudgeonly take: There's nothing quite like a steady paycheck.

Emery said...

i say if it works out, great...but make sure you have a steady/fulltime paycheck FIRST before serious dabbling. then, just in case it doesn't work out like you hope, you're not stranded with no business AND no paycheck. but all the luck in the world to you!

Dead Poet said...

Neal, I think you've got some talent going for you. I really like the lake picture, and the waterfall one is good. If you do decide to pursue this, look into photography classes. I wouldn't try to do this professionally with out taking as many as you can. And be willing to be a school pictures photographer if you have to be to do the rest. I know a friend of mine who's dad did that on top of the prom, wedding, engagement pics he did. Or look into taking photos for newspapers and magazines. While you may love taking beautiful pictures, they don't always pay right off. And who knows, you may be the next National Geographic photographer. And of course, pray about it. Good luck, I think you have a chance.

Naomi

Cherie said...

I have some links to AWESOME photographers on my website. My favs so far are Julie Parker and Dustin Todd. Check out their pictures and start collecting photos you absolutely love so that you can practice getting shots like that. Good luck!

kahmannskorner.blogspot.com